Here we are at the middle of the summer season and I have compiled, in my opinion, the monthly roundup of the best articles in the SEO and internet marketing niche for the month of July 2016.
“5 PPC Secrets I’ve Discovered Through Millions of Ad Spend” by Johnathan Dane on klientboost blog. I think about PPC secrets were so many posts so I can say that there is no any secrets in PPC. But here are some 5 secrets according to Johnathan:
The Iceberg Effect – look at keywords statistics in Adwords and you will see some that are not added to your campaign. Mix them.
PPC Traffic Temperatures – different visitors who come from different PPC channels have completely different conversion intents. So you should mix call-to-action for different PPC channels.
The Importance of Micro Conversions – don’t focus only on the main conversion. Don’t forget about micro conversions like email subscribe, following Twitter profile etc.
Optimize For Sales, Not Conversions – your main task is to get more sales, not conversions. So even if you get many conversions but they are not converting into the sales – forget about them.
F*** Your PPC Metrics – many metrics are not actually important if you are making sales.
“Social Traffic: 5 Fresh Ideas to Get More Shares for Your Blog Post” by Tamas Torok on Momentum blog.
- Tip 1: Include a sharing option in your newsletter
- Tip 2: Insert a “send to a friend” button to your website or newsletter
- Tip 3: Get more shares with embedded Tweets and Facebook posts
- Tip 4: Go alternative ways (Slack, Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp)
- Tip 5: Increase social traffic with click to tweet links
“What Are The PPC Best Practices For 2016?” by Rocco Baldassarre on Search Engine Journal. This post would be useful for everyone. Because is covers the most basis and needed knowledge about Google Adwords.
The article is divided into the following categories:
- Search Network Campaigns
- Introduction to Keywords
- Keyword Research
- Sorting Keywords in Ad Groups
- Getting The Hang of Ad Copywriting
- Extensions Will Increase Ads’ Performance
- Choose The Right Campaign Settings
- Maintenance and Optimization Best Practices
- Display Campaigns
“The 15 Most Popular Myths About International SEO, Debunked” by Kaitlin McMichael on Moz blog.
The following myths are debunked:
- Myth #1: I need to have multiple websites in order to rank around the world.
- Myth #2: “The best site structure for international rankings is _________.”
- Myth #3: I can duplicate my website on separate ccTLDs or geo-targeted sub-folders & each will rank in their respective Googles.
- Myth #4: Geo-targeting in Search Console will be enough for search engines to understand and rank my content correctly.
- Myth #5: Why reinvent the wheel? There are multinational companies who have invested millions in R&D — just copy what they do.
- Myth #6: Using URL parameters to indicate language is OK.
- Myth #7: I can just proxy localized content into my existing URLs.
- Myth #8: Adding hreflang tags will help my multinational content rank better.
- Myth #9: I can’t use a canonical tag on a page with hreflang tags.
- Myth #10: I can use flag icons on my site to indicate the site’s language.
- Myth #11: I can get away with automated translations.
- Myth #12: Whichever site layout and user experience works best in our core markets should be rolled out across all our markets.
- Myth #13: We can just use IP sniffing and auto-redirect users to the right place. We don’t need hreflang tags or any type of geo-targeting.
- Myth #14: I need local servers to host my global content.
- Myth #15: I can’t have multi-country targeted content that’s all in the same language, because then I’d incur a duplicate content penalty.
“Google’s ban on payday & high-interest loan ads going into effect now” by Ginny Marvin on Search Engine Land. “In May, Google announced that ads promoting payday loans that require repayment within 60 days and loans with interest rates above 35 percent would no longer be accepted or displayed starting July 13”. And now this is going into effect now.
“Payday loans: “Personal loans which require repayment in full in 60 days or less from the date the loan is issued (we refer to these as ‘Short-term personal loans’). This policy applies to advertisers who offer loans directly, lead generators, and those who connect consumers with third-party lenders.”
High interest loans: “In the United States, we do not allow ads for personal loans where the Annual Percentage Rate (APR) is 36% or higher. Advertisers for personal loans in the United States must display their maximum APR, calculated consistently with the Truth in Lending Act (TILA).”
“An experiment in trying to predict Google rankings” by JR Oakes on Search Engine Land. Back to 2015, JR and his colleagues tried to predict Google algorithm rankings. And here are the results:
The report itself is quite long, so you can go to the original article to learn more about the experiment.
“101 Top Twitter Tools of 2016” by Lilach Bullock on Lilach Bullock blog. There are many different Twitter tools. Of course majority of the quality tools are non free. In this post you will find a list of 101 top Twitter tools with short description.
All tools are divided into the following categories:
- Get More Followers
“37 Experts Reveal Their Biggest Blogging Mistakes (So You Don’t Make Them!)” by Mike Brown on The Blogging Buddha. I like to read such kind of posts because you can get information from different influencers without needing to open different pages.
I think almost everyone who works in IT niche has a blog today. And I’m sure that everyone has something to say about their biggest blogging mistakes.
“4 Tools to Turn Your WordPress-Powered Website into a Growth Engine” by Nadav on Kiss Metrics blog. According to the statistics, today more than 1/3 blogs are WP powered. This platform is very easy in use, has almost all needed plugins free of charge.
Here are the 4 tools according to the author:
- Drive Traffic Back to Your Site Using Start A Fire with Start A Fire
- Convert with Content Using Content Upgrades Pro with Content Upgrades Pro plugin
- Give Your Site Superpowers with SumoMe with SumoMe
- Make Your Numbers Count with Kissmetrics with KissMetrics WP plugin
“How Video Reviews Can Help You Boost Conversions” by Oliver Ewbank on Semrush blog. 85% of users are more likely to purchase a product after watching a product video.
When you collect video content, the process follows 6 simple steps:
- Send your customers an invite to leave feedback
- The customer leaves a video review
- They add a caption and description
- The review is submitted
- The customer receives a thank you email
- The customer receives upload confirmation
There you have, in my opinion, the best posts for the month of July 2016! I hope you enjoyed them, too, as well as discovered some helpful information! Please share your comments below or contact me via this form or via my Twitter account. I welcome your thoughts.